Siegelson has been a family-owned business since 1920, with ownership passing from grandfather to father to son. Louis Siegelson founded the company, specializing in watches and watch repair, in Brooklyn. In the early 1940s his son, Herman (or Hy as he was known in the trade) joined the company and within a short period of time changed the direction of the business from watches to diamonds. In 1946, Hy moved the business to New York City, opening H. Siegelson at 74 West 47th Street and later that year relocated to 77 West 47th Street under the name Siegelson’s Jewelry Shop. He eventually moved to 56 West 47th Street where he had the biggest display window on the street. The company offered specially designed diamond and precious gemstone jewelry as well as antique and estate pieces.
In 1992, Hy’s son, Lee, entered the firm and, upon his father’s death two years later, took over the reins of the company. By 1998, Lee, like his father before him, redirected the business. Instead of servicing a retail clientele, he is now a purveyor of the finest diamonds, gemstones and special jewelry and objects of art for high-end retailers across the country and throughout the world from his office at 589 Fifth Avenue in New York City.